Two years ago, the Sweet Stitchin' Betties were formed? born? (hatched?) at the Roasted Bean Coffeehouse. It started as a 2 times a month deal, but we got too big and the demand was growing for more knitting, so we now meet every Monday, rain (and we get a lot) or shine. There have always been Betties knitting at the Bean every Monday night since (not counting a few hurricanes that got in the way of our meetings!)
We have grown from 3 to 88 people on our yahoo group in that time, and have donated hundreds of caps, cloths, booties, pet blankets, and more to charities both at home and around the world. Our first collaborative afghan for charity is getting bigger every week, and we have plans for more after it is finished.
In honor of this birthday, we are celebrating/knitting/drinking/chowing down at Ye Olde Falcon Pub on Monday, July 16th, from 7pm til whenever. See you there!
I came up with a few of these "You might be a Betty if. . ." today in honor of all the cool people I've had the privilege of knitting with these past 2 years. I'll be glad to add any additional ones you come up with!
- You HAVE TO KNIT on Mondays, even if you're not anywhere near the Bean! (or even in the same country at the time!)
- posted a pattern, link, or technique to the group within nanoseconds of someone asking, "where can I. . ." or "how can I. . ."
- brought in yarn from your stash to "pass on" to another member, only to come home with more than you left the house with!
- forwarded sale info to "enable" others to buy more yarn!
- talked someone into buying more yarn!
- bought more yarn after someone told you about sale! (see above)
- forwarded an intriguing/disturbing/entertaining project (usually involving tampons or weiners)
- was a good friend to someone having a rough day, either when a pattern kicked their butt or life in general was getting them down.
NEW ADDITIONS!!! You might be a betty. . . . .
- Consider going in to work late on Tuesday so you can down more caffeine on Monday night and stay up later knitting
- if you consider ditching a pretty well paying job on a beautiful island because your boss doesn't like the "appearances" of knitting even at breaktime.
- if you see a cool purse pattern and say, "I've got to show this one to Cheryl!"
- if you refuse to work late/OT on a Monday night!!
- The first thing you pack on Monday morning before leaving for work is knitting supplies.
- You spend your birthday (if it's on a Monday), at the Bean.